Monday, June 17, 2013

Last class

Teaching the last class is hard. Some things about it don't surprise me too much -- that Jane brings a small gift, that Hope wants a hug -- but some things do. A few who want to take more pictures, who want a hug, who want to really say goodbye are not who I would have expected. 

And there are also things that don't surprise me, but do catch my heart in ways I wouldn't have predicted. In this afternoon's class, it was Jack Black, who, despite the name, has incredible English. He also has a compassionate heart and is one of the students who it is a pleasure to teach (usually... Unless he has recently eaten sugar).  

After we all took some pictures together outside, everyone was dispersing. 

"Hannah!" he said, and I looked over. He put his hands together, stood up straight, and bowed. Which caught me a bit off guard, but not as much as the fact that he looked ready to start crying. 

Have I mentioned that I hate saying goodbyes??

1 comment: