Friday, April 19, 2013

Quotes from The Fault in Our Stars

A few weeks ago after fellowship I cornered Depreena and Jonathan and explained to them that I was in dire need of books.  They fully recognized what a serious problem was and quickly lent me some books.

I have great teammates.

Anyway, one of the books that Depreena lent me was The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.  I hadn't been super eager to read it before -- I think I'm kind of snobby when it comes to reading young adult fiction kind of stuff -- but it was good.  It was also very sad.  

Here are the quotes that I really liked.  Some because I agreed, some because I disagreed, and some because they made me smile.

"Whenever you read a cancer booklet or website or whatever, they always list depression among the side effects of cancer.  But, in fact, depression is not a side effect of cancer.  Depression is a side effect of dying.  (Cancer is also a side effect of dying.  Almost everything is, really.)

And I wondered if hurdlers ever thought, you know, This would go faster if we just got rid of the hurdles.

I liked Augustus Waters.  I really, really, really liked him.  I liked the way his story ended with someone else.  I liked his voice.  I liked that he took existentially fraught free throws.

"Pretty great," I agreed, although it wasn't, really.  It was kind of a boy movie.  I don't know why boys expect us to like boy movies.  We don't expect them to like girl movies.  [Funny sidenote:  this was referring to V for Vendetta.  This past week, one of my (male) students asked me if I had watched it and told me it's a great movie.]

I felt a certain unbridgeable distance between us.  I think my school friends wanted to help me through my cancer, but they eventually found out that they couldn't.  For one thing, there was no through.

I stopped when I heard violent sobbing on the other end of the line.  "Are you okay?" I asked.
"I'm grand," Augustus answered.  "I am, however, with Isaac, who seems to be decompensating."

"Well, to be fair," I said, "I mean, she probably can't handle it.  Neither can you, but she doesn't have to handle it.  And you do."

"Sometimes people don't understand the promises they're making when they make them," I said.
Isaac shot me a look.  "Right, of course.  But you keep the promise anyway.  That's what love is."

As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.

"I want to have scrambled eggs for dinner without this ridiculous construction that a scrambled egg-inclusive meal is breakfast even when it occurs at dinnertime."
"You've gotta pick your battles in this world, Hazel," my mom said.  "But if this is the issue you want to champion, we will stand behind you."
"Quite a bit behind you," my dad added.

The weird thing about houses is that they almost always look like nothing is happening inside of them, even though they contain most of our lives.

You have a choice in this world, I believe, about how to tell sad stories, and we made the funny choice.

The urge to make art or contemplate philosophy does not go away when you are sick.  Those urges just become transfigured by illness.

Much of my life had been devoted to trying not to cry in front of people who loved me, so I knew what Augustus was doing.  You clench your teeth.  You look up.  You tell yourself that if they see you cry, it will hurt them, and you will be nothing but A Sadness in their lives, and you must not become a mere sadness, so you will not cry, and you say all of this to yourself while looking up at the ceiling, and then you swallow even though your throat does not want to close, and you look at the person who loves you and smile.

"You are fairly smart," I said after a while.
"You are fairly good at compliments," he answered.

"Grief does not change you, Hazel.  It reveals you."

2 comments:

  1. loving "quite a bit behind you"

    somewhat of an aspie tone to these quotes. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot to think about here.

    I just left another comment, but I have to say:

    Hey. I miss you. I love this blog, but it's not the same thing as really talking, you know. :)

    I got home from DC a few days ago (I was actually in PA for a few hours! Lancaster County) and we need to try to catch each other online sometime soon.

    By the way, I have to tell you an interesting anecdote. We had been looking and looking for a good art museum in DC (one with really classical paintings, you know, and not just dada and contemporary nonsense). Our friend who was arranging the trip couldn't find any online and so we weren't even going to get to go to any art museums while we there. Then, two days before we left, we were bewailing this fact as a family and I suddenly said, "Hey, I KNOW the Voyage of Life is in DC, because Anya went there, oh, five years ago or something like that and said she ran into a museum and saw it. We have to find that museum."

    And so we did. And it was the National Gallery of Art (duh!) and it was really fantastic. My favorite thing about the whole trip. So xie xie! :)

    ReplyDelete