Saturday, September 29, 2012

Oh, life (part 2)

I'm not even sure how to begin this post, because the story is just crazy...

So on Friday, I had a pretty leisurely day.  Depreena and I went shopping for some stuff for Sydney's birthday party, and then in the afternoon I went with Danielle to Guilin Lu, because she had told me that they had gorgeous journals there, and my journal is nearly filled (four years after Abbie gave it to me!)

All of us were pretty happily expectant about the upcoming break, which was being kicked off on Saturday by a sports meet and then Syd's birthday party in the evening.  A few of us had idly wondered to each other what would happen to the sports meet if it rained, but it had remained idle conjecture.  Perhaps they'd cancel it.  Perhaps they'd only do events that could be done in gym.  

Did I mention that it was pouring for a good chunk of Thursday and Friday?

Anyway.  So Danielle and I were at Guilin Lu when her phone rang.

Turns out that it was indeed a possibility that the sports meet would be cancelled due to adverse weather.  But as students were required to be here for that, they couldn't just let students go early.  So we'd teach our Wednesday classes instead.

The rest of Friday is kind of a blur of all of us trying to get back to the school (which was a headache, because traffic was crazy and it was cold and raining and some people in our group waited an hour for a taxi) and lesson planning (a lesson that consisted of playing English practice games, because it seemed ridiculous to try planning anything else) and I was miserable.

In Beijing we talked a lot about the gap between expectations and reality and how unhappy we are when we fall into that gap.  And I was in that gap for sure.  My attitude was terrible... and I knew it, and I asked the Father to please make me happy about teaching on Saturday morning.  And I thought about giving thanks in all circumstances and I just wanted to cry.  And I thought about how He always brings good out of everything, and I still wanted to cry.

Some days are like that in China.

So I went to bed, not knowing if I'd be teaching in the morning or not.  We didn't find out officially until about 7:19, at which point I had seen out my window that a) it was dreary and raining and b) students were heading to their class building.



For more on our infamous memos, see my teammate Depreena's post:  Memo.

So I taught two classes... one at 8 am.  Both of them were missing about half of the students, who had (sensibly) gone home or were skipping.  The first one was fine.  The second one was with one of my translation classes, which is probably my favorite class.

We had a blast.

 Shania and Jane


 listening to music and playing games before class


Summer was braiding Little Meng's hair
Ruby was checking out some pictures 


 playing I'm Going on a Picnic


Linda, who couldn't wait for class to end so she could go home

Before class and during the break we took pictures and listened to music and sang and perhaps danced a little bit, to If I Die Young and Firework and We are the Champions.  Their music mix, not mine.

In the evening, we had Sydney's epic Australia-themed party.

And today I woke up to this.

the sky is blue and it's beautiful
it made me laugh

The whole situation is still one that was kind of crazy, but it's one that I can laugh about now.  Because I was able to enjoy teaching.  And I think that the Father did bring good out of it... we had fun together, which is good for relationship building, and the first activity that we did was bucket lists.  "I've never thought about this," one of my students said.

"Which part?" I asked, since there was everything from foods I want to try to people I want to thank to how I want to be remembered.

"Any of it," she said.

Perhaps it was time for that to happen, then.

2 comments: