Saturday, September 22, 2012

Comprehension Check

This past week, six of my classes had a quiz with three questions related to friendship.  Some of the answers are really insightful.


Some of them make me want to smack my head against something.  


So, for your reading enjoyment, here's the cream of the crop.  


Question:  Sometimes people in the East and people in the West have different ideas of friendship.  What is one difference?


The west people use a fork to eat.

The east people eat with chopsticks.


In the East, when you tell your friends a good story. You can't say. You are a dog.  In this east. this words are not friendly 

(I am pretty sure he must have been thinking along the lines of Yo whaddup dawg...)


In East, if someone is your dude, you can do as much as you can when he have some troubles.  In West, it depends how close to you.


the East friendship like water: quite

the West friendship like fire: enthusiam



Question:  If I say that someone is my friend "through thick and thin", what does that mean?


I think its means the people can make me happy at my sad time, point my weakness and help me to improve.


Thick means good friend.

Thin means bad friend.


your friend bad times or good times

another is your friend advantage or not.


a friend in deed is a friend in need.


The person is slim and healthy.


Your friend isn't very fat and isn't very thin.  She or he have a medium contour of body.


He is hungry.


When we are in trouble, we can help each other.

When we make a mistake, we can punished together.

We can do everything together.  even if the things is bad.


Random other answers


friend like shadow, no matter what happens, he or she always be with you.


sky (given as an adjective to describe a friend... it is entirely possible that one of her friend's has Sky as an English name, but I don't know.)


a good friend like a apple when we are hungry.


5 comments:

  1. Wow. I'm always impressed when they can pull together great phrases "contour of body".

    Now to contemplate friendships like "water and fire".

    ReplyDelete
  2. maybe if they don't understand how funny their answers actually are, you can make a literal translation of them in Chinese, and they can read 我们很饿的时候,朋友和苹果一样

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! "a good friend like a apple when we are hungry." I am going to make sure Becky sees that one! Your students give some hilarious answers. My students have their moments too. These are what I got when they were to complete the sentence with a predicate:
    My earring... _is a secret atom bomb_.
    The old car... _crashed into a barrel of toxic waste.
    The marching band... _fell off the zigzag bridge and into the acid_.
    The meeting... _was horofing [horrifying].

    ReplyDelete
  4. "A friend in deed is a friend in need." #headdesk

    These are priceless. On the one hand, they sound unmistakably like foreigners trying to speak English. On the other hand, they remind me just a bit of some of the defendants' written explanations that we get at court. *sighs*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh for a medium contour of body. :-P

    and the shadow one... that student ought to meet Peter Pan. :)

    ReplyDelete