Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The Evolution of a Name: In Three Acts*

I.

On the first day of class, I tell all of my students what they should call me.  I write this on the board.  The next week, I repeat this, and hand it out in their syllabus.

This is what I tell them:  Miss Keeler.

II.

Sometimes students text me.  Texting  is the preferred method of communication in this country; China is very advanced in the cellphone part of its telecom infrastructure.

This is how those texts can be expected to begin:  Keeler!

III.

My students are friendly.  They say hi to me on campus (and then look surprised when I answer them in English.)

This is what it sounds like:  Killer!

 ~~~

I am, perhaps irrationally, hoping that there will be an epilogue.  Wherein I will be called Miss Keeler. 

~~~

*There are some students who call me Miss, so this story may be slightly out of proportion... but as my teammates can attest, it would only be slightly so.

~~~

It makes me laugh.


3 comments:

  1. :D :D

    We got your newsletter in the mail today.

    I expect to be sending you a copy of my book sometime this week now that I have your mailing address.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad your students are friendly and greet you even though they feel you may be a killer...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got your newsletter too! :D

    I imagine if you tried explaining that "Killer" meant "sha ren" they'd continue using it as a joke! XD Better to take up baseball or fencing. ;)

    ReplyDelete