Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Pet Peeve

I feel like I ought to insert a disclaimer before I get into the rest of this post.  I love China.  A lot.  There really are not too many things that I run into on a regular basis that drive me crazy or that just irritate me.  However, there are a few...

This is probably the top one.

It annoys me more than students copying off of each other's quizzes.  (Sometimes it's funny.)
It annoys me more than not understanding much of the language.  (You get used to it.)
It annoys me more than the crazy traffic.  (You also get used to this.)

Fingernails.

For some reason, guys here have no problem with having long fingernails.  And I mean well beyond any sensibility if they are trying to go for a slightly artsy look or something.  Nails that I would call long on American females.  I have no idea where this came from and I haven't figured out a polite way to ask yet, so when it's one of my students or friends... I just try not to watch his hands.

(It's okay, he wasn't texting in class.  Since he sits within arm's reach of me, I don't think he usually tries.  This was on break.  But can you see what I mean about the fingernails??)

It makes me want to give them nailclippers (or a pocket knife) and say, "Please do all of us a favor and trim your nails, unless you're trying out for the part of King Nebuchadnezzar.  YOU ARE A MAN."

Oh well.  The good side of this is that, seriously, if men's fingernails is my biggest problem with living in China, I think I'm doing alright.

3 comments:

  1. What do you say about that? That's... strange and fascinating.

    It's obvious he doesn't play guitar. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... he told me today that his computer broke because he played too many computer games though. Go figure.

      Delete
  2. This is fantastic. It's good to vocalize the quirks of China. I didn't loose any respect for China while reading this post. FYI :)

    ReplyDelete