Monday, October 22, 2012

Mondays

I love some of my classes so much that it's absurd. The kids are so much fun and I love getting to see their interests. My Monday translation class is one of the classes that I love, so it is a great class to start the week. They have a pretty high level of English so it is much easier for them to express themselves and for their creativity to shine through, which means that dialogues and any activity is more interesting.

And then there are things like this... at break I asked my one student Roger what he was drawing. He's always sketching manga-style characters, and it turns out that currently he's working on a comic strip about Zeus and Hera.

Please comprehend how mind blowing this is. Roger and I were having this conversation in English. He's writing the comic in Chinese, obviously (which looks super cool), and drawing it in a Japanese style. And the subject of this comic is Greek mythology.

I love it.

Also, this class cracks me up for the simple reason that Vinki and Rainky sit next to each other. Neither of them are super enthusiastic about answering questions in class and their names sound very similar. The result is that when I call on one of them, there is usually a moment of silence, and then Vinki says, “...Rainky or Vinki?” So I repeat (and sign it at them... they may subconsciously pick up the sign language alphabet before the end of the year...). And then I usually call on the other girl next.

It's really encouraging to have such a responsive class to kick off every week with!

No comments:

Post a Comment