Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Currently Playing...

So I have decided upon a theme song for my classes. 

It is, perhaps, not the deepest, most meaningful song ever.  And saying that I chose it is a bit of a misnomer, it more of lodged itself in my head and refuses to get out.  But in case you are wondering how I currently feel about my life, the song is called 7 Things.  It's by Miley Cyrus.  You know, Hannah Montana... Billy Ray Cyrus' daughter...

Anyway.  It's a little embarrassing. 

However, I feel that with a little bit of tweaking, the song would perfectly fit my experiences. 

Some days my classes make me want to pull my hair out.  Some students make me want to just take preemptive ibuprofen before the class even starts, because I know that there will be reason for it at some point.

But no matter how frustrating they are, or how plain tired I am by the end of the day, I love my students.  I love it when they get so excited that they are jumping up and down when I find them in the dining hall because they've never eaten with a foreign teacher before.  (sophomore male... and yes, he is that excited about basically everything.  His name used to be Joy but he changed it because another guy in the class was also named Joy.)  I love it when they listen and when they do funny, creative things in class. 

I love watching relationships change as I get more opportunities to connect with my students and pour into them.  Because that is what I want to be doing right now -- encouraging them and honoring them as individual persons.  There are some students who I love so much that it makes me grin like an idiot every time I see them.

The 7 things I hate about you!
The 7 things I hate about you, oh you
You're vain, your games, you're insecure
You love me, you like her
You make me laugh, you make me cry
I don't know which side to buy
Your friends, they're jerks
When you act like them, just know it hurts
I wanna be with the one I know
 And the 7th thing I hate the most that you do
You make me love you

And then I get pop songs for teenagers stuck in my head. 

Loving my students obviously turns my brain into mush. 



1 comment:

  1. :) Remember Laura's Barbie video to this? so much fun. :)

    ReplyDelete