Thursday, March 7, 2013

I love GK Chesterton so much.

I just read The Wisdom of Father Brown, a chapter at a time here and there.

Here were the quotes that I actually liked and remembered to highlight

~His theories were extremely complicated and were held with extreme simplicity.

~"What we all dread most," said the priest in a low voice, "is a maze with no centre  That is why atheism is only a nightmare."

~We...said and thought we were in love with each other; at least he certainly said he was, and I certainly thought I was.

~The travellers looked at it with that paradoxical feeling we have when something reminds us of something else, and yet we are certain it is something very different. 

~He could not help, even unconsciously, asking himself all the questions that there were to be asked, and answering as many of them as he could; all that went on like his breathing or circulation  
(This reminded me of several people that I know. my youngest brother among them.)

~For we human beings are used to inappropriate things; we are accustomed to the clatter of the incongruous; it is a tune to which we can go to sleep  If one appropriate thing happens, it wakes uד up like the pang of a perfect chord.

1 comment:

  1. <3 the last one. Paul Simon was on to this in different language... "When something goes right, it's likely to lose me, it's apt to confuse me because it's such an unusual sight... I can't get used to something so right."

    ReplyDelete