Monday, March 4, 2013

Civerlization and the first day back

I'm super excited to be back with my students!!!

And while I love them, it's only day one of the spring semester and already, they make me want to laugh and groan simultaneously. This week they're doing "class evaluations" – which means telling me what they like about learning English, what they don't like, what they want to learn, etc. It's a survey, not a poll. :)

But here, read for yourself, and maybe you'll see what I mean about mixed responses.

What about learning or speaking English are you most excited about?

"...in the class we are very active and practice our oral English."

"Maybe you can make the class more interesting rather than boring talking."

"The class is real fun..."

"I can get a better understand of western culture or even civerlization [sic]."

What about

 learning or speaking English do you like the least?

"learning English"

"Grammar, I hate it."

[this is funny to me because she also said she wants to learn more grammar this semester...and a lot of her classmates listed grammar as one of their favorite things about learning English.]

"I don't like the strange words."

"Grammar. (I guess so does each language!)"

"I like least is learning English." [same kid wrote, "I most excited about speaking English."]


Any other questions/comments

"New term. New expectation."

"I'll work harder this semester."

"You helped me a lot in public speaking. Thank you!"

"Don't want to make speech anymore!"

"I really really really couldn't remember new words."


My thoughts:

Sometimes I get really discouraged because teaching oral English classes is like chapel at Geneva. Most students are dissatisfied with how it's done at least a good chunk of the time, and a good number of the ones who are dissatisfied are vocal about it. Getting the surveys back is good for getting the overview that maybe at least they're not unhappy because it isn't balanced, but because it is. From the same class I got feedback saying that they dislike doing argumentative/public speaking type English, and asking if they could do more.

I rest my case.

For the students who asked me if they can watch films in class/if they can not do public speaking this semester: No. Sorry, you can watch films on your own time or find time to watch them with classmates or with me, but that would be a great way for me to get myself fired. Also, the focus of their class is public speaking... so I'm afraid they're out of luck there too.

It is incredibly encouraging to be thanked by students... especially at the beginning of the semester and not as they walk in to take their final. :)

Sometimes at the end of the day there is not much to say but Oh, civerlization.

1 comment: