Tuesday, July 30, 2013

On Being Song-ed

The last Sunday night at HuaQiao, before I left for good, to take the train to Shenyang and then fly to Xiamen with my mom -- that was a hard night.  I said goodbye to my friend Peter, and my student Savis pressed last gifts into my hands -- a necklace for me and a fan for my mother -- and claimed a hug (which is uncharacteristic for Chinese guys); my dear friend Alicia at dinner with Mom and me, and Bridge and Caston came by to say goodbye.  I think I shoved Bridge out the door after I hugged her because I didn't want to sob in the middle of cooking.  Or with so many people.

After dinner, Mom and Alicia and I walked to the store inside the stadium to get some kind of icecream on a stick and met up with a few of my students, who had put together a photo album for me.  Then I gave the key to Simon and walked Alicia back to her dorm.

It was a night filled with giggling and thank yous and goodbyes and tears.  But then there were things that needed to be done, because no matter how important and emotional goodbyes are, backpacks still must be packed and the bunny's room ought to be cleaned up.  It was a beautiful night because it was full of so many of the students who are really dear to me.

Alarms were set and we went to sleep, planning to leave around 6 the next morning and get ourselves to the train station.

It was a few minutes after my alarm went off the next morning that there was a knock on the door.

I opened the door and found no one there.  Which made me think that it was either Bridge or Alicia.

I looked around the door.  Alicia!  And Peter!

They came in and sat with us while we ate breakfast and finished getting ready to leave.

Then they walked us to the metro.

Then they rode with us to the train station.

Then they sat with us in the train station until it was time for us to board our train.

In China, it is a very honored tradition to song people who you are close to.  To see them off.

And while, as an American, it is not nearly as strong as a tradition for me, I felt incredibly loved by these two dear sibs waking up so early and going out of their way to take us as far on our journey as they could.

And I still totally cry when I read Alicia's goodbye to me...

But as she told me when I cried, "We're all in His hands."

I delight in knowing of the dear friends who I will absolutely see again.  When we won't have to see anyone off, because there won't be goodbyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment