Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Gifts from Beggars

I am used to people in China asking me for things -- people sitting on the sidewalk with a container in front of them, asking those who pass by to toss in change, or kids wandering through metro cars, singing and asking for a few kuai.  It's a little bit of a sticky situation -- is it better to give a few kuai?  To just ignore?  Zen me ban?  What to do?

Anyway.

I had a very new experience on Saturday.  (China is full of new experiences, as I'm sure you've noticed.)

I was given fruit.

It was like a small orange plum.  Actually, I was given two of them.

I was astonished.

It caught me from nowhere, this generosity from beggars.

It really has been something that the Father is teaching me over and over again this year... that He is generous.

Here's two quotes that it reminded me of. 

"But I got to have my rights same as you, see?"
 
"Oh no. It’s not so bad as that. I haven’t got my rights, or I should not be here. You will not get yours either. You’ll get something far better. Never fear."

"What do you keep on arguing for? I’m only telling you the sort of chap I am. I only want my rights. I’m not asking for anybody’s bleeding charity."

"Then do. At once. Ask for the Bleeding Charity. Everything is here for the asking and nothing can be bought."
{CS Lewis}

No flood warnings, still the waters rise
Flowers through asphalt,
Diamonds in the pockets of your eyes
Turn your face and hide
I saw a woman with ribbons in her hair
Old and lonely, so beautiful I had to stop and stare
The well will not run dry
[Jars of Clay] 

The well of His goodness will not run dry, and I love how He reminds me of that in the most unexpected ways, like gifts from beggars.

1 comment: