Sunday, February 10, 2013

Reasons why I don't understand Thai

1. I have invested no time in studying it. As in, none. I spent more time on Indonesian in high school because I liked the one book our library had and more time on Vietnamese doing development for a fictional character. 

2. For some reason, my brain generally assumes that Thai is meant to be read right to left. There is a lot of Hebrew on signs around the city, but I'm not sure why the principle is trying to jump languages. 

3.  When I do look at it left to right, my brain tries to decode the alphabet as a highly stylized English font. 

This is less than helpful. 

For these reasons (really mostly the first, the others just amuse me) the only thing I can say in Thai at all is สบายดีค่ะ (sà-baai dee kâ)... and to be honest I can't really give a definition... I just have some idea of when to say it to be polite. 

It's a good thing that English is much more widespread in Thailand than it is in China. :)

1 comment:

  1. :)

    Reasons I don't like the codes on this site...

    1) they give you random stuff like140 DostFeal

    2) the blur thing makes me feel like I need new glasses

    3) I always think of Baker Street when there are house numbers

    ReplyDelete