Monday, February 4, 2013

Hello Thailand!

I knew that I was going to be in trouble in this country as soon as I came through immigration.

The immigration officer: "Where are you from?"
Me: "China!! Uh... America!!! Um... what do you mean?"

Emily and I kept a running list of the things in Thailand that confuse us. They drive on the wrong side of the road. The drivers stopped for us when we wandered across the road. The signs aren't in Chinese... they're in Thai and English... which believe it or not confuses me way more than signs that are just in Chinese. People sit on the ground and run around barefoot. They eat with their hands.

Where am I??

Anyway, Emily and my travels were great and there was minimal ma fan (hassle). We visited friends in Taiyuan and ate fish head and hung out with the youth group run by Evergreen. We rested in Xi'an, biked on the wall, and got to hear stories of what the Father is doing in the Muslim quarter. (I think Xi'an is my favorite city to hang out in, and we stayed at one of the best hostels ever!!) Then we traveled to Kunming and met up with another group -- Andrew, Cathy, Hilary, Grammar, and Bridge. We did a little rock scrambling and a lo of soaking up the sunshine. :)

For the past few days I've been in Thailand, doing child care at the CRC conference. Tomorrow we head down the mountain to the ELIC conference. I'm really excited to see all the people who I went through training in Beijing with! :)

Thailand is a lovely place to visit but I wouldn't want to live here. I miss China!!

No comments:

Post a Comment