Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Thoughts

I like being back in Pennsylvania.  I love how the sunlight filters through the trees and how the land rolls up and down.  I love that I can understand what's happening around me and I love running into friends at the store.

I'm not exactly sure what's next yet.  Moving in a few weeks and looking for a job... I'm curious to see where I end up (as is everyone who's asked me about plans, because I have very little answer for them.)  I want to work with people.  I want to learn new things.  I also want to make enough money, but what's "enough" is probably open for debate, or at least discussion.

I don't like having to skype my teammates or email them instead of just seeing them all the time.  I don't like trying to catch students and friends on qq and wechat instead of bumping into them in the dining hall, teasing them, teaching them, hanging out together.  There are pros and cons wherever I am in the world.

Tonight I miss my friend Dominic.  Mom and I ate dinner with him and one of my students, Cassie, and the meal went on for so long that they were turning out the lights in the dining hall and had locked some of the doors by the time we left.  (It reminded me of my first semester at Geneva.)  We talked about many many things, especially his volunteer work in Cambodia.

His heart is broken for the poverty of the people he was serving.

And listening to him, my heart was broken for the poverty that he's living in.  He can see ways that the world is wrong and broken, but doesn't yet know how it will one day be made right.

No comments:

Post a Comment