Friday, December 7, 2012

*facepalm* Time to get a t-shirt made....

To be honest... that is my (internal) reaction to a lot of things that my students ask me about...

Especially this question, which a student just asked me over QQ (instant messaging):

i don't know what topics should we choose to talk with foreigner

I have gotten variants of this questions so many times that I think I should get a response t-shirt made.  Any suggestions for what that t-shirt should say?

Here are my two ideas:

Foreigners are people, too.

and

I'm from another country, not another planet.

(Usually what I tell my students is, "...well.... what do you talk about with Chinese?"  And then they stare at me as if they have no idea how this could possibly be relevant.)


(picture taken earlier this semester on campus, because the yellow hoodie "I wear what I want" summed up China fashion.)

6 comments:

  1. I feel like this is what Dr. K was talking about when he said people tend to just talk louder as if "foreigners" can't hear well. Either we can't hear or there really are no topics that are universal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes... that actually is the next post coming!!!!

      Delete
  2. We got your update letter today and I've had a great time reading your blog posts. Somehow missed that you had a blog but will keep up from now on.

    -Cassandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I always love seeing your facebook posts with what Sukey and Milo are up to!!!

      Delete
  3. so, what would you suggest we talk to if we ever meet a Chinese person?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Where's your hometown? What is it famous for?" ;) That's the serious answer to a silly question.

      Delete